Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
Medical Plan Updates: 3/16/2020
The below medical providers are offering Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) testing at no cost (if deemed testing is deemed medically necessary, recommended by a health provider, and/or if testing is done at an approved location)*. Additionally, all providers suggest members visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html) to learn more about COVID-19 and the latest CDC guidance, resources, protocols, and travel restrictions.
- There will be no cost related to medically necessary* COVID-19 screening or testing, including co-pays, deductibles, and coinsurance.
- This policy applies to the cost of visits, associated lab tests, and radiology services at Kaiser facilities, urgent care, and emergency departments, where the purpose of the visit is to be screened and/or tested for COVID-19.
- In the event, a member is diagnosed with COVID-19, all additional services will be covered and charged according to the member’s plan coverage rules.
- COVID-19 testing is not recommended for members not exhibiting symptoms (i.e. cough, fever, difficulty breathing). Members, with symptoms meeting the criteria, will have appropriate testing arrangements made available.
- Informational fliers have been mailed to members providing prevention practices and COVID-19 facts.
- Members are encouraged to utilize Kaiser’s telehealth options, available through phone, e-mail, and video.
- Telehealth enables members to schedule telephone and video visits, send messages directly to the doctor’s office, and provides 24/7 phone access to an advice nurse for non-life threating conditions.
- Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute has been selected to launch the first clinical trial of experimental COVID-19 vaccine.
- If recommended by the health care provider*, all co-pays and cost shares for COVID-19 testing will be waived for members and their dependents covered under the Cigna medical plan.
- Members are encouraged to access Cigna Telehealth Connection, which provides members with 24/7 virtual access, via mobile device, tablet, or computer, to a doctor or nurse for non-life threating conditions.
- If the COV19-ID is suspected, the health care provider will arrange a swab to be taken at a local clinic. Please note urgent care copay or clinic costs may incur.
- Members in need of emotional support due to the impact of COVID-19, should contact Cigna’s toll-free help line at (866) 912-1687. The help line is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Updated information and resources can be found on the Cigna links below:
- Disaster Resource Center
- Coronavirus Resource Center
- Any cost sharing, including co-pays, coinsurance, and deductibles associated with COVID-19 testing, provided at approved locations* (in accordance with CDC guidelines), will be waived for members and their dependents covered under the UnitedHealthcare medical plan.
- Members are encouraged to access UnitedHealthcare Virtual Visit, which provides 24/7 virtual access, via mobile device, tablet, or computer, to a doctor or nurse for non-life threating conditions.
- Members in need of emotional support due to the impact of COVID-19, should contact UnitedHealthcare’s toll-free help line at (866) 342-6892. The help line is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Anthem Blue Cross
- If recommended by the health care provider*, costs of the test and doctor visit, and any cost sharing for COVID-19 testing, will be waived for members and their dependents covered under the Anthem medical plan.
- Members may access LiveHealth Online, which provides members with 24/7 virtual access, via mobile device, tablet, or computer, to a doctor or nurse for non-life threating conditions.
- The most updated member news can be found on the Anthem link below:
- Better Care Blog
The Department of Human Resources (DHR) works closely with the County-sponsored medical plans available to our employees, and receives regular updates concerning the COVID-19 crisis. Watch this page for weekly news, as well as any urgent updates on how to get treatment and new recommendations concerning social distancing, self-quarantine, and more.