Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
Medical Plan Updates: 3/30/2020
Kaiser Permanente (Kaiser)
- As of March 23, 2020, Kaiser has temporarily closed nine Southern California clinical facilities and corresponding pharmacies.
- Members with scheduled appointments or active prescriptions have been contacted
- Prescriptions awaiting pick-up at any of the closed locations, can be filled at any Kaiser pharmacy
- A list of temporarily closed facilities can be found on the link below: https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/southern-california/health-wellness/coronavirus-information
- These facilities provided specialty care, and did not have Urgent Care or Emergency Care capabilities. The medical professionals from these sites have been reassigned to provide care in other Kaiser facilities.
- Kaiser facilities are implementing visitor restrictions. Visitors are now prohibited from accessing hospitals and medical office buildings, with the following limited exceptions:
- End-of-life care, Labor & Delivery, Postpartum, Pediatric (including Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care), and members requiring the presence of caregivers
- Kaiser sent text messages to Southern California members advising them to contact the Kaiser COVID-19 hotline at (877) 813-7297 for any COVID-19 related inquiries. The hotline has Kaiser representatives available 24/7 who can direct members to appropriate care options.
- Kaiser has begun contacting members to postpone, or reschedule, some elective procedures, surgeries, and/or non-urgent appointments.
- COVID-19 drive up testing is accessible by physician referral and/or order only.
- Members will be notified of the appropriate arrangements, if a drive-by testing facility is available nearby
- Kaiser emailed Southern California members COVID-19 safety tips, telehealth guidance, and ways to access care.
- An informational video on “Helping Children understand COVID-19” is now available and can be accessed on the link below:
- UHC is easing administrative requirements to allow members to access care through reduced prior authorization requirements.
- Suspensions of prior authorization requirements to a post-acute care setting are in effect through May 31, 2020
- Suspensions of prior authorization requirements when a member transfers to a new provider are in effect through May 31, 2020
Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem)
- The new COVID-19 assessment tool, on the Sydney Care mobile app and the Member Portal, is now live and available to members.
- Instructions on how members can access the Sydney Care mobile app have been made available to members.
- Educational flyers on “How your health plan helps you handle COVID-19”, are available for member distribution. Specifically, the flyers include details regarding:
- Symptoms checks and doctor visits from home
- Telehealth benefits
- COVID-19 testing
- Early prescription refills
- Continuously updated information can be found on the Anthem link below: https://www.anthem.com/ca/coronavirus/
- No updates to report
The Department of Human Resources (DHR) works closely with the County-sponsored medical plans available to our employees, and receives regular updates concerning the COVID-19 crisis. Watch this page for weekly news, as well as any urgent updates on how to get treatment and new recommendations concerning social distancing, self-quarantine, and more.