The County of Los Angeles prides itself as a leader in public sector employment. As an employer concerned with both employee well-being and organizational efficiency, offering a Countywide Wellness Program is critical. The goal of the County’s Wellness Program is to improve the health and productivity of County employees and lessen their health-related costs, mainly by helping employees change their lifestyle patterns through wellness initiatives.
Since the middle 1990’s, the Department of Human Resources (DHR) has offered a Countywide Wellness Program. Renewed efforts to strengthen the program began in early 2007. To be successful, the Chief Executive Officer and Director of Personnel issued a call to action in September 2007 to all County Department Heads. It included asking departments to appoint a Wellness Manager. The focus of the Wellness Manager is to spearhead Countywide wellness initiatives and help employees change their lifestyles and behavioral choices to make positive changes in their health status by providing wellness activities and program information to better health.
As outlined in the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), the County and SEIU Local 721 agreed to cooperate in developing an employee wellness program called “My Health is My Wealth.” A negotiated joint labor-management subcommittee on Employee Wellness coordinates worksite wellness activities. Working with Local 721 in the subcommittee, the “My Health Is My Wealth” program uses County-sponsored health plans internet-based online programs.
For 2020, there is a new and improved Wellness Incentive program, rewarding biometric completions. Eligible employees can qualify for a $100 reward cards, while supplies last. Register to participate at this website: www.LaCountyGetsFit.com. Learn more about the program by downloading the instructions below.
DHR also kicked off carrier-based programs for non-represented employees enrolled in County-sponsored medical plans and those represented by the Coalition of County Unions. You can visit the County-sponsored medical plan websites found on this website at the Employee Benefits page (see Benefits tab above, then go to Benefit Plans).
Healthy Connections Seminars
Healthy Connections lunchtime seminars have moved online during this time of physical distancing. Get online and continue to enjoy the educational series that is focused on building and maintaining personal wellness. Stay healthy, stay connected, and schedule time for your well-being. Registration links will be available closer to the seminar date.
2020 Healthy Connections
Select Thursdays | 12:00 PM
Sponsored by Anthem | Cigna | Kaiser Permanente | UnitedHealthCare
Whole Wellness Webinars
Live & On-Demand
Employee total well-being is at the center of the Wellness Program. These series of webinars deliver insights, best practices, and leading resources on health and wellness issues presented by experts and professionals. Critical topics include healthy eating, increasing physical activity, managing ailments, stress management, behavior modification, and more. Employees will discover strategies to instill healthy habits for lasting wellness.
Click on any upcoming webinar below to register. Live webinars are interactive and are followed by Q&As.
Missed a webinar or want to watch again, jump to the archived section and click on the webinar of your choice to view recording.
Wellness During COVID-19
Sponsored by Cigna
30 min. Webinar Series*
Sponsored by Anthem
*Click on any webinar in this series to visit Strive2Bit Login. Select Onsite/Virtual Classes and Events and enter the following Enrollee Code: COLA777 (only for L.A. County Employees). Watch for email announcements. For questions, contact your Department’s Wellness Coordinator or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsored by UnitedHealthcare
Telework Wellness Toolkit Webinar Series
Sponsored by United Healthcare
2020 Archived Webinars
- Cervical Cancer: Taking Preventative Steps and Staying Informed UnitedHealthcare
- Trust Your Gut: Managing Digestive Issues and Irritable Bowel Syndrome UnitedHealthcare
- Beating Back Pain: Ergonomics for Working from Home UnitedHealthcare
- Aging with Grace: Men & Women’s Health for All Ages UnitedHealthcare
- Boosting Immunity: Staying Healthy UnitedHealthcare
- Mindfulness: Take a Breath Break UnitedHealthcare
- When I Awake, I Will Feel Great: Sleeping Better UnitedHealthcare
- Ready Set Goal Kaiser Permanente
- Taking Care of YourSELF Kaiser Permanente
- Why Sleep Matters Kaiser Permanente
- Managing Stress Kaiser Permanente
- Coping with COVID-19 and Beyond Kaiser Permanente
- Managing Change and Stress UnitedHealthcare
- Building Self-Confidence for Better Health UnitedHealthcare
- Cultivating Wellbeing Kaiser Permanente
- Work Life Balance: How to Achieve in a Stressful World Kaiser Permanente
- Understanding Depression UnitedHealthCare
- Approaches to Relaxation UnitedHealthCare
- How to Better Manage Our Time UnitedHealthCare
- Self-Care for Loneliness & Isolation UnitedHealthCare
- Fitness Your Way Kaiser Permanente
- Fitness at Your Fingertips! UnitedHealthcare
- Building Your Own Physical Activity Program UnitedHealthCare
- Spring, Jump, Leap – Just Move! UnitedHealthCare
- Exercising for Busy Bodies: Mini Workouts Save the Day UnitedHealthCare
- Healing Foods and Natural Remedies UnitedHealthcare
- Balancing Food & Mood Kaiser Permanente
- Smart Grocery Shopping & Label Reading Kaiser Permanente
- Preparing Healthy Meals & Dining Out Kaiser Permanente
- Sizzling Summer Recipes UnitedHealthcare
- Eating Healthy on a Budget UnitedHealthcare
- Food and Mood UnitedHealthCare
- Making Delicious and Healthy Meals Kaiser Permanente
- What Food Does for You – Macro & Micro Nutrients UnitedHealthCare
- Summer Refreshers: Recipes and Samples UnitedHealthCare
- The Sugar Epidemic Cigna
- Communicating In Difficult Situations UnitedHealthcare
- Sandwich Generation: Balancing Kids & Parents Needs UnitedHealthcare
- Aging Parents: Finding the Right Care UnitedHealthCare
- Hosting an Online Meeting for Best Results UnitedHealthCare
- Forming a Cohesive Team from Afar UnitedHealthCare
Onsite Flu Vaccination Clinics
Did you know that the Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu vaccine every season? In an effort to assist you in getting your vaccination, DHR is once again offering free, onsite flu vaccination clinics. It has never been easier to get vaccinated! Getting a flu vaccination is one of the best ways to protect yourself and your family!
New Clinics Coming in September 2020
During this time of physical distancing we’re taking fitness workouts online. Keep moving with workout-at-home videos that include high-intensity training, total-body workouts, yoga, deep stretching, and other exercise routines that fit your lifestyle.
Workday Dose Series by Wellness Council of Arizona
LA County Parks’ Virtual Recreation Center
Participation is voluntary. The County is not responsible for any fees or damages arising out of any injury that may be sustained by participating in any of the above activities. As a participant, you voluntarily accept and assume full responsibility for your safety and well-being in participating in the above activities and doing so at your own risk. Although Wellness Council of Arizona promotes wellness activities, they will not be held responsible for any injury. If you have pre-existing injuries, please consult your physician before engaging in any of the shown activities.